Delve into the aromatic world of BIR (British Indian Restaurant) Chicken Curry, a culinary delight that encapsulates the essence of rich Indian flavours fused with a British touch. This recipe is an exquisite blend of succulent chicken pieces simmered in a luxurious gravy infused with a symphony of spices and herbs. Adding yoghurt offers a delightful creaminess, while the fenugreek leaves introduce an underlying rustic aroma. As you prepare this dish, the tantalising aromas will transport you to the bustling kitchens of famed Indian restaurants. And when you take that first bite, expect a burst of flavours—warm, spicy, tangy, and utterly comforting. It's not just a dish; it's an experience—a testament to the timeless appeal of Indian curries, now enjoyed and celebrated worldwide.
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Whole Cumin Seeds: 1/4 tsp
- Bay Leaves, Cardamom, and Cloves: 1 each
- Onion (finely chopped): 1 medium
- Garlic (minced): 1 tsp
- Ginger (finely grated or minced): 1 tsp
- Tomatoes (finely chopped): 1-2 medium
- Base sauce gravy: 1 cup
- Pre-cooked Chicken (in Non-Veg Gravy): 1/2 cup
- Coriander Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Kitchen King Masala: 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala: 1/4 tsp
- Ground Cumin/Jeera: 1/4 tsp
- Chilli Powder: 1/4 tsp
- Green Chilli (finely chopped): As per taste
- Salt: 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Butter: 2 tbsp
- Whisked Plain Yogurt: 2 tbsp
- Lemon or Lime Juice: 1 tbsp
- Dried Fenugreek Leaves (Kasuri Methi): A pinch, crushed
- Fresh Coriander (finely chopped): 1/2 tsp for garnish
- In a pan, heat the oil.
- Add whole cumin seeds, bay leaf, cardamom, and cloves. Fry until the cumin seeds turn light brown.
- Add finely chopped onion and sauté until it turns translucent and slightly browned.
- Stir in the minced garlic and ginger. Continue sautéing until aromatic.
- Mix in the finely chopped tomatoes. Cook until they are soft and well integrated into the mixture.
- Pour in the base sauce gravy, mix well, and let it come to a boil. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the pre-cooked chicken and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Season with coriander powder, ground cumin, Kitchen King masala, garam masala, and chilli powder.
- Add the finely chopped green chillies.
- You can season with salt according to taste.
- After 2 minutes, stir in the butter and ensure it's well incorporated.
- Reduce the heat and gently mix in the whisked plain yoghurt, stirring continuously to prevent curdling.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice and mix well.
- Sprinkle the crushed dried fenugreek leaves over the curry.
- Cook everything for another minute until all ingredients are well combined.
- Garnish with finely chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Note: Adjust the spiciness by regulating the amount of green chilli and chilli powder. Pair this curry with naan, roti, or rice for a complete meal.